International Order of the Golden Rule
April 19-21, 2020
Annual Conference & Solution Center
Asheville, North Carolina
Southern Cemetery, Cremation & Funeral Association
June 28-30, 2020
Annual Convention Exhibits & Sales School
National Funeral Directors & Morticians Association
August 1-6, 2020
83rd Annual National Convention & Expo
National Harbor, Maryland
Cremation Association of North America
August 5-7, 2020
102nd Annual Cremation Innovation Convention
Selected Independent Funeral Homes
Sept. 20 – Oct. 3, 2020
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
National Funeral Directors Association
October 18-20, 2020
NFDA International Convention & Expo
New Orleans, Louisiana
Mike founded Southern Calls in September of 2013 and has had the privilege of sharing the People, Places, and Passions of funeral directors across the country—in print and in person—one-on-one and with state convention audiences.
Contact Mike today to schedule him to share his stories at your next convention, conference, or your funeral home.
- The Obsequies of Billy Graham – An incredible, firsthand narrative detailing the funeral services of America’s Pastor.
- Robert L. Waltrip, The Service Corporation International Story – Recounting the landmark interview with the world’s most visionary and famously private funeral conglomerate founder.
- The Finest in Funeral Homes – Behind the scenes at some of the nation’s premier firms: Joseph Gawler’s Sons, Geo. H. Lewis & Sons, and H.M. Patterson & Son.
- The Interview: A Boy from The Heights – Robert L. Waltrip, The Service Corporation International Story
- Behind the scenes: Joseph Gawler’s Sons Geo. H. Lewis & Sons, and H.M. Patterson & Sons
- Follow Your Passion – A fulfilling career in funeral service and finding your calling.
- The State Association – Detailing the experience of serving as an executive director for over two decades.
- The Future of Funeral Conventions & Expos – The evolution of event planning and preparation, leadership, efficiency, and why professional gatherings still matter.
- Editor-in-Chief – The art of the interview, magazine publishing, and creating a brand.
- Purveyors of the Trade: Past & Present – A fascinating, photographic journey showcasing the history of the funeral profession and the importance of its preservation.
“Several years ago I first heard Mike Squires. I had never before encountered a speaker, addressing a group of funeral service professionals, with the passion that Mike does. His ability to tell a story, to engage his listener, to speak to the heart of the matter is a rare gift. Many speak at the funeral profession, but there are very few who have the ability to speak to the profession—not just to educate them but also to inspire them.”
James Funeral Home
Huntersville, North Carolina
Got an event that you want to tell us about? Let us know! Or, contact us to book Mike Squires for an upcoming speaking engagement.
Join Our Directory
of Funeral Professionals
We are now offering leading Funeral Directors the opportunity
to add their own unique Professional Listing and associate their
good name with ours. For less than $2 a week your firm will be
listed in our Southern Calls Directory, an exclusive place to be
recognized among your peers.
Never miss an issue.
Subscribers receive all of our quarterly magazines by mail, as well as all exclusive content on the website.
Everything’s changed. We’re now living in a world we didn’t expect a month ago, a week ago, or even yesterday. It’s a world of constant flux with changing mandates and directives coming from the state and federal level. And yes, it’s a world of fear. Masks and gloves...
It’s all about the B’s for our latest issue… from the small Southern town of Bremen, Georgia, to urban downtown Baltimore, Maryland and out to a cattle pasture in Brewton, Alabama we cover a broad range of People, Places, and Passions – and there’s even real Bees (see Passions article). The photos are compelling, the stories are moving, and they’re all told from a Funeral Director’s Perspective. There’s only one place you can find inspiration like this, Southern Calls – The Journal of the Funeral Profession.
AUGUST 23, 1978 – JANUARY 26, 2020 Only two months ago the news shocked the world, Kobe Bryant had been killed in a helicopter crash… those headlines, the outpouring of grief and the images from memorials have now been thickly veiled by the coronavirus that has taken...